YOU GOT THIS
10 Mental Health Hygiene Hacks
You have a deadline or a performance. Depression has you in a muddle. Your creative calling is being silenced by a dark, haze. There is no “snapping” out of it. Here are some hacks that our YGT team have used to help us move toward the light.
Mental Hygiene Hacks for Creatives
4. Limit substance use. Beware that alcohol is a depressant. If you are using recreational drugs or binge drinking, ask yourself:
- Am I experiencing negative consequences because of my drug or alcohol use (e.g., missing work, class or rehearsals; friends, colleagues or family are expressing concern about my use; having worse moods etc.)
- Have I started using drugs or alcohol more frequently or in greater quantity than before?
- Have I tried to stop using but then kept using anyway?
- Am I having cravings and withdrawal symptoms when I’m not using?
- Answering yes to any of these questions is a sign that you may benefit from seeking help.
8. Instead of watching and reading upsetting news and/or posting these stories on social media; use music to soothe your mind. Identify songs that make you feel happy, that inspire you and give you hope. Create special GO TO playlists to lift your mood. Only watch podcasts and Ted Talks that empower and confirm the good in the world.
9. Show compassion, practice kindness and generosity. Help someone by volunteering. Care for a pet.
10. Know when to reach out for help. It is safe to reach out for help. Create a core group of 6 trusted supporters. Develop a written safety plan with those closest to you to assist you cope with stress and to ensure that you always have a safe haven. Help them understand which of your actions and behaviors could be signs of your need for a life-line.
Get the YGT weekly e-letter
A weekly update to your inbox with health tips, events and more to keep you connected.